Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Bessie Smith Songs
Fairy Tales and Folk Lit
Film as Lit
The Great Gatsby
Intro to Philosophy
Race in America
Romeo and Juliet
Whitman and Hughes
group 24 Part one
American Memory Part One
1. Who is being interviewed?
2. What is his/her title or position?
3. What is his/her race? Gender? Age?
4. Where is the interview taking place?
5. What is the date of the interview?
6. Who is the interviewer?
1. Who is being interviewed? The person being interviewed is Sherman Dolman.
2. What is his/her title or position? Has special skills and has been a black smith for 40 years. He is intrested in relgion.
3. What is his/her race? Gender? Age? He is 75 years old male.
4. Where is the interview taking place? -3050 W St.
5. What is the date of the interview? October 17, 1938
6. Who is the interviewer? George Hartman
I choose to do research on Sherman Dolman. He was born in German and moved to the Nebraska when he was six. He was 75 at the year of the interview. When he first moved to Nebraska it was very farm like but after years it became more devolped. When the great depression came he had to live on sorgum and corn meal. Before the depression he would kill the chicken, sence there was so many, and eat that. He says the depression was at its worst in the late 70's.
I chose to research Lorena Hickok. She was hired by Hopkins to travel throughout the country as his confidential invesetigator to report on what the depression meant to the American people and how his relief programs were working. Her letters show the devastating social impact of the economic collapse and how difficult it was to implement relief programs in ways that assured assistance would actually reach those most in need. Lorena Hickok was a white female. She was born in 1893 and died in 1968. I think Lorena Hickok is a person who made a difference, with out her people would not know of the relief programs that Hopkins made and how they were working.
1. Who Is being interviewed? The person being interviewed is Mr. George Dodge
2. What is his/her title or postion? He is Yankee Odd Man
3. What is his/ her race? Gender?Age? Race is Unknown, He is a Male, age 70.
4. Where is the interview taking place? Worthington, Massachusetts
5. What is the date of the interview? January 24, 1939
6. Who is the interviewer? Rosalie Smith.
George is a man whose wife died 3 years prior to this interview. He had a bachelor son, and a bull dog. Since the day his wife died, he has not hired a female worker. He was a Mason, yet he his trade was a carpenter. He talks about how hard times were like how men worked for $.50 or less in one day. Money back then was scarce and they had no modern farm equipment to facilitate their job. He went on to explain that his mom made all his overcoats. Times weren't as easy the last depression according to George. After reading this interview, I realize that these were some of the worst years in American history.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"